>

the look for less {lonny}

i immediately fell in love with this space in the last edition of lonny — the look is simple, chic, and easily recreated on a budget. let's do it!
in attempting to recreate the feel of a space, i like to move from floor to ceiling and identify the pieces that really define the room. after painting an accent wall mocha brown, your next step is to recreate the artwork of the space. we'll need to look for something abstract, dark, and dramatic. i like this serigraph by barnett newman ($160) for the mix of clean and rough lines — and the colors are perfect for our room! the only problem is its orientation. the piece in our inspiration room is hung horizontally to echo the shape of the couch. let's break the rules and turn the piece around.
much better! the next piece is a cool mid-century floor lamp with tripod legs and a white drum shade.
i like this lamp from target and the price is definitely right at $100! replace the yellow shade (or don't — i kind of like it!) and you're good to go.
now there's really nothing special about this plain white couch. you might consider slipcovering a piece you already own or scanning your local craigslist for viable options. next bring in a mix of dark and light throw pillows (ikea's ritva covers cost just $6 each!) to add a little depth.
your best bet for the chevron rug is west elm's zigzag rug which comes in a variety of sizes. depending on the size of your space, you could get away with just a runner (2.5' x 7') for under the coffee table, which would set you back just $119.
your splurge for the room will have to be the transparent trunk that absolutely crowns the space. plexicraft's acrylic trunk is an investment at $377 but truly worth it in my opinion. use it to protect your pricey coffee table books or show off your own objets d'art.
the icing on the cake is a little coral accent. i like the look and price of z gallerie's faux coral, which comes in two sizes (one for $20 and the other for $45) and two colors so you can choose the right style for your space.

p.s. the new lonny comes out on june 10. who's reading?

22 comments:

this free bird said...

Mackenzie my dear: please don't think I'm a cuckoo bird posting a comment at 2AM PST - was just going to bed after a bout of insomnia and saw your post.

You have single-handedly given me the new ideas I was seeking for my living room. I foresee bright things in your future, my friend.

Thanks so much,
-Carrie

Hazel from Hazel Loves Design said...

How gorgeous is the perspex trunk!! OMG... Love it! I also love the idea of different coloured coral to match your interior!

:) Hazel

Anonymous said...

Wow, great finds. I'm checking out that coral! Yes, I am anxiously awaiting the next Lonny!! xo

Unknown said...

SO great M! I have actually purchased the coral from Z gallery, and can attest to the great quality! Can't wait to see what that new issue has in store!

Silver Strands said...

Hi Mackenzie - just found you through Debby and Inspired Design. Glad I did - I've enjoyed scrolling through your blog :)
oxoox
Denalee

hip hip gin gin said...

Wonderful finds, and I love that lamp! I think it may have to find its way to my living room soon.

Kristen said...

That clear trunk is awesome, i love the whole look

seesaw designs said...

i love that serigraph. a lot.

Unknown said...

Love this room! That couch looks so cozy and the chevron carpet ... I'm saving my pennies (however slowly) for the Madeline Weinrib;)

Jane said...

Thanks for scouting these out! Great finds* Especially love the coral. xx, Jane

My Owl Barn said...

Great picks! That lamp is adorable. Have a great day!

Stephanie Sabbe said...

I love that zig zag runner! one of my favorites!

Sarah Esther said...

thanks for the D*s article... a great read for sure! have a great day!

Averill said...

Ahhh I adore that trunk! I'd been looking for a see-through trunk ever since I saw that pic -- great find!

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Lovely darling! You did a great job. I'm now lusting after that trunk!

Style, She Wrote said...

Love the mid-century lamp! Great color!

annie said...

lonny mag is great. i loved that table of plexiglass too!

http://anmarkdesign.blogspot.com/

Dale at Hospitality Design Inspirations said...

Wow brilliant! I can't beleive that rug is only $119!

paula said...

I love it! that trunk is such a looker.

Elyssa said...

I love the look of that room!
So funny, I just did a post and the room had the exact same zig zag rug!

http://www.somethinglovelyhere.blogspot.com/

Joi said...

Girl, I loved that room too! It's so chic!

deliciously organized said...

I love this room and love your budget friendly version!