>

The Design Dialogues {Elizabeth Caan}

I stumbled upon the work of interior decorator Elizabeth Caan last week on Made By Girl and fell in love with her colorful, preppy aesthetic. I was delighted when she agreed to participate in The Design Dialogues and share a few more of her interiors with all of you! Without further ado, Elizabeth Caan!


Who you are: Elizabeth Caan
What you do: Interior decoration and styling
Where you do it: Newton, Massachusetts


Five words to describe yourself... Impatient, energetic, petite, down-to-earth, congenial.

How do you define your aesthetic? Graphic glam.

Who are your style icons? Miles Redd, Mrs. Lilien, Diana Vreeland.


Destination: New York, New York

Quote: "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." —Benjamin Franklin

Site: Etsy. I've scored some amazing things: vintage scarves I've had made into pillows, great art, and photographer that I have smattered about my studio and my home.

Store: Net-a-Porter. Who has time to go into a store?

Thing to read: Financial Times Where to Spend It Weekend Magazine.

Thing to Watch: Breaking Bad on AMC — such a great show!

Thing to wear: A fabulous coat makes anything look très chic.


How did you decide to become an interior designer? 
When I could afford to! It's an expensive sport. No, I actually have a degree in art. I spent ten years in sales and marketing for new media companies and have always had a passion for interior design. When I could afford to take a pay cut and learn this business the way I wanted to, I went for it!

What is the most glamorous aspect of your work?
Creating glamorous things with beautiful materials and top-notch tradespeople. 

What is the least glamorous aspect of your work?
Schlepping things around town!

What is the best advice you've ever received?
This is a creative business. To make it, you need to be not only creative but a businessperson as well.


Three tasks on your to do list...
Take my daughter to Paris, finish my home office, learn to relax.

Three items on your wishlist...
A pair of Joe Cariati glass lamps in lavender berry, a larger closet, a laundress.

Three tasks on your bucket list...
A trip to the Greek islands, go on an African safari, learn how to upholster — couture style!

- - - 

Thank you so much for joining us, Elizabeth! I love her quote about being a creative businessperson and I think I'll be adding a laundress to my wishlist as well. Aren't you smitten with her style?

17 comments:

p-l-a-i-d said...

What a great interview. I love that her design aesthetic is graphic glam!

Karlita said...

I love her style! great i terview mackenzie! have a wonderful weekend!

KristiMcMurry said...

Her interiors are so wonderful! That closet made me gasp. Great interview! I especially love that Ben Franklin quote...I'll be remembering that next time I'm shopping :)

scsd said...

Love her studio ~ I could get so much work done in there!

blair @ scsd

Tommy said...

She's amazing! I love that quote, and I appreciate her honesty here. Most people do not cop to the expense or any of the negatives. :) Great post!

Elle said...

Thank you so much for sharing her comments! I loved it. She has fabulous style! I love her work.

Unknown said...

I love her style what a great interview

Melissa @ Veranda Interiors said...

I agree, her statement about how she got into it is wonderful...it is not cheap or easy but the payoff is huge!

Leslie said...

I really love all of her spaces; they are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing her talent with us!

Unknown said...

Loved reading this, inspiring and love the photos:-)

Ashley said...

Great interview! I love that she's a big Etsy fan!

Anonymous said...

Such a great article, i absolutely love her aesthetic. Everything is so colorful and chic, but still looks approachable.

cait - pretty and fun said...

Could her desk area be any more perfect? Such fabulous style!!

Allyson [Mimosas in the Morning] said...

LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS! So glad that the Design Dialogues are back!

Unknown said...

So excited to see her featured here! I saw her on Made By Girl last week too and was totally smitten with her designs. She seems so down to earth, realistic, and cool.

Commercial painting company said...

Proper home paint is very important when it comes home decor and home improvement as without good illumination. Lighting itself can be a main decoration, especially with some of the beautiful unique home lighting products available to us.

Toronto Home Renovations said...

Love everything about her interior. I was also interested to know if anyone has a recommendation for an interior designer because its center attraction for me to dropped my precious observation on this post!