>

The Design Dialogues {Meg Galligan}

Let me first thank you all for your support of this little interview series! I love that it's turned into such an inspiring feature and I can't wait to continue it in 2012. Today's guest is San Francisco jewelry designer Meg Galligan, whose company Margaret Elizabeth Jewelry is brimming with pretty baubles to complete your holiday look. Here's Meg to tell you all about it!


Five words to describe yourself:
Curious, creative, spirited, passionate, loyal.

How would you describe your aesthetic?
Classic with a twist. I love bold pieces and believe accessories make an outfit. Living in San Francisco and growing up in New England, I can't help but be a layering fanatic.  

Who are your style icons?
Christiane Celle, Grace Kelly, Jenna Lyons, the Clarins sisters, Kelly Wearstler.

My two favorite necklaces from Meg's collection. The lapis needs to come live with me!

How did you decide you wanted to design jewelry?
I started designing jewelry while a student at Boston College, making pieces for myself and friends. It started off as a hobby and then, after being approached by a few small boutiques, I realized it had the potential to be a business. 

What is the most glamorous aspect of your work?
Making my own schedule, and being able to travel to fun places in search of new materials & inspiration. 

What is one lesson you've had to learn the hard way?
I've learned that you have to be patient with the design process. Trying to create new pieces can't be forced!

How pretty are these shots from Margaret Elizabeth's lookbook?

What advice would you offer aspiring creatives?
Trust your instincts! If you're passionate about something and believe in it, great things will happen. 

Where would you like to see your business in five years?
I'd like to expand my line beyond jewelry into other accessories: leather goods, scarves, etc. I'm also working on a line of cufflinks that I hope will become a bigger part of the business in coming years. One day I'd love to open a shop.

Gorgeous two-tone earrings

Three items on your to do list.
1) Ship today's holiday orders.
2) Meet with a bride about the jewelry for her bridesmaids.
3) Pack for our holiday travels.

Three items on your wishlist.
1) A new pair of Varina ballet flats.
2) An Hermès scarf.
3) Trip to Buenos Aires.
...wishes!

Three items on your bucket list.
1) Travel to Africa.
2) Adopt a dog.
3) Plant a big vegetable garden.

- - -

Thank you so much, Meg! I love that her business started out in college and grew into a full-time venture. Inspiring, isn't it? Now go check out her shop and find something pretty for yourself!



7 comments:

Elise said...

The lookbook pictures are so fun!!! I love your pieces too. Thanks for sharing, it's always a good day when you discover a new jeweler or designer!

Cheers, Elise

Unknown said...

Such gorgeous pieces! Thank you for sharing another inspiring designer trying to pave her way in this big world! This series gives me the drive to keep doing what I'm doing!

Lacquered Life said...

Congrats Meg! So proud of you and all you have accomplished! Go BC! See you in June ... ? xo

Allyson [Mimosas in the Morning] said...

The design dialogues is one of my absolute favorite series. I always look forward to them and like Liz ^ ^ ^ said, they are so inspirational.

Margaret Elizabeth said...

So excited to be part of the Design Dialogues today! Thanks for the kind comments...and Olivia, yes, will definitely see you in June! xo Happy Holiday!

A Casa da Vá said...

I love her work, thank you for sharing all these beautiful things! And she is adorable as well!

ps: Colorful giveaway alert:
http://www.stylebyemilyhenderson.com/blog/winning-with-vanessa-adao.html

xoxo,
Vanessa Adao
http://acasadava.blogspot.com/

Ashley said...

I'm so happy you featured her so I could find out about the jewelry line! Such pretty pieces!