>

FOURTH OF JULY ON NANTUCKET

I think this was my favorite Fourth of July in recent memory. Unlike our trip in June, everything on the island was in bloom and it was warm enough to swim in the ocean. The waves were huge after the hurricane and I actually got sucked under at one point. Our family used to call that "getting boiled"... Not sure that that's a technical term but it's definitely a feeling I wouldn't wish on anyone. Scary! I made a not-so-graceful exit from the water and spent the rest of the day chatting and reading on the beach. Note to self: try not to drown next time and, if you are going to embarrass yourself, at least wear a really cute swimsuit while you do.


I packed my new favorite bikini from Topshop ($64) and my handy Turkish towel ($29). I use these guys for everything: the beach, weekends in the park, and even a makeshift scarf on chilly nights. Also available in navy and pink.


We schlepped my bicycle into the car and across the ferry only for it to pour rain the first day we were there. When I spotted this pretty bike parked at the beach, I had to take a snap! I can't wait to take it out for a spin on our next trip... Morning coffee runs, here I come! P.S. I was thinking about carrying cute bike baskets in the boutique; would anyone besides me be interested?!


Hydrangeas are one of my favorite flowers (tied with peonies and tulips). Can you even stand how gorgeous these are? There were mountains of them on every corner... Just one of many reasons why Nantucket is my favorite place on the planet.


Even a gray day is gorgeous with blooms like these. My iPhone was essentially a portfolio of pictures of hydrangeas all weekend. Not mad about it.


Thankfully the weather was much nicer on our second day so we drove out to 'Sconset in the morning to have brunch with my grandmother and walk out to the lighthouse. How pretty is the view of the Summer House? Fun fact: my mom had a summer job here in the 1970s. 


We went back out to 'Sconset for church on Sunday and of course I was late because I felt the need to photograph this car. Can you even?! Dream cottage, dream car, dream life.


In the afternoon, Amy and I popped into a bunch of shops in town. I love the little walkway to Peter Beaton, where my grandmother has her hats made and Amy picked up an adorable striped shirt.


The summer that I turned 16, I worked in the cutest flower shop on the island in the gift shop upstairs. My favorite job (besides cutting in flowers from the morning delivery because, really, who wouldn't want to be surrounded by fresh flowers all day?) was sorting all the grosgrain ribbon. At the time I would beg my mom to sew ribbon belts out of them; now I'm dreaming of a craft wall for wrapping packages for Design Darling!


You can usually count on me to forget at least one or two necessities when packing for a trip... This time it was an oxford shirt (ridiculous since I live in them every season). I borrowed Will's gingham shirt (J.Crew, $64), threw on my cross body bag (Tory Burch, $295 $206), and called it a day. Oh and the nail polish is Essie's Clambake — the perfect beach color.


Until next time!



13 comments:

Alessandra Thomas said...

I've been on the hunt for a bike basket so you should DEF carry them in the shop!

Unknown said...

Hi Mackenzie! Great post. I was wondering if you can tell me more about the fit of the Top Shop bikini? Does the top have any padding or support? It's so cute, I love it.

Christine said...

I am dying to get myself to Nantucket! It looks so gorgeous and relaxing.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Looks like fun! The bathing suit is too cute. And despite forgetting a couple necessities, your outfit is still adorable!

http://triplex3threat.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Molly — The top doesn't have padding. I would order up one size, two if you have a bigger chest. I'll be wearing it in an outfit post on Monday if you want a better look!

Unknown said...

Beautiful photos Mackenzie! This is the lifestyle I can hope my future holds for me ;)

Constance || Prep Northwest

Laura (bright and beautiful) said...

LOVE these photos! I'm thinking of ordering one of your turkish towels - so perfect for summer!

Unknown said...

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE it if you carried cute bike baskets in the boutique! I am currently on the hunt for one and just can't seem to find one that I absolutely love.

Leslie said...

Glad you made it out of the water safely. Those pictures look like you had a lovely weekend!

bright city brunette said...

I love all of your photos - looks like such a fun weekend! I grew up vacationing in Sconset. It's such a special place and your pictures make me feel like I was there too!! :)

xx, Alexa
www.brightcitybrunette.com

Just Another Shopaholic said...

LOVE the Topshop bikini!!

Lily L-M said...

This looks like a heavenly weekend! that suit is such a steal!

x Lily
whilemyboyfriendsaway.blogspot.com