>

DIY LETTER WREATH

In the spirit of Monday's post about ten ways to decorate for Christmas, we got started this weekend placing candles in the windows and hanging garland over the front door. My mom had seen this adorable wreath and decided to recreate it with materials we had on hand. I love the way it turned out!
Materials: hand pliers, chicken wire, metal wire, and some sort of greenery (we used boxwood from our backyard but any kind of garland would do!).
1. Cut your chicken wire and lay out your shape. We did "H" for our last name but you could make any shape you like or even three letters for a monogram!
2. Twist each piece of chicken wire into a tube shape. This doesn't need to be perfect — just three-dimensional so you can secure your greenery to the wire.
3. Wrap your greenery around each part of the letter and secure with metal twist ties as needed.
5. Go back and trim as necessary. 
6. Ta da! You're almost finished. Now wrap with Christmas lights...
7. And hang on your front door! You'll be the envy of the neighborhood. ;)
What do you think?! Any fun holiday DIY projects you've tackled lately? 

Keep up with Design Darling



27 comments:

Nat said...

Love it! What a great idea!

Lili said...

beautiful mackenzie!!!

Danielle {Envision Pretty} said...

LOVE the initial "wreath"! Leave it to you to find a way to monogram the front door :) I love that you chose to use fresh greenery. I would have been the one to run to Michael's and grab fake garland. I bet this DIY would be amazing with some live garland, and smell good too! Maybe I will try it for a door inside my place! Great idea.

Unknown said...

So, so good- well done mom!

Sheri Ann || Sprinkles and Style said...

I love this idea! What a great DIY!

Goldylocks and the Barrows said...

Very pretty! Do you know if for the Alt Summit we could buy just a ticket for the session that you will be in? :) I actually only live 3 hours away and would love to come down and learn from you!

michele said...

it's awesome badawesome.

hope you'll stop by when you have a moment, lovely blogger.

smiles to you.

michele
http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Wow, yours looks great! Haha, not sure if I could tackle a tricky 'R'!

Tobe | BIA said...

me likey!

ECQ said...

love this!!!!!

Anonymous said...

One of the best DIY wreaths I've seen this season! How long does the Boxwood last and how do you get the lights on without having an ugly cord hanging from your front door?

Unknown said...

I love it! How did you deal with the cord from the lights?

Anonymous said...

This is so cute, and looks so easy!

Savannah said...

This is such a creative idea, I'll definitely have to try it! love it!

Savannah

http://glittersandfades.blogspot.com

Chelsea Mac said...

This is really fantastic! I love the idea of doing this.

Chelsea
Haute Child in the City

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone!

emdash and Jennifer — Wireless Christmas lights! They run on battery power. We found ours at Target!

Anonymous said...

Wow that looks great! Such a cool idea!

Miss Southern Prep said...

I love that! What a fun idea!

Julie Leah said...

This looks GREAT!! What a fantastic idea for Christmas, even though I would want to have this up year-round!! :) So crafty, M!

Kelly | Fabulous K said...

I DEFINITELY need a boxwook 'K' in my life! Great tutorial, friend!

Anonymous said...

This is too cute!!!! Love the lights on it.

xoxo
Mandy
Saguaros & Stilettos

Bethany said...

Mackenzie, this is genius! Pinning it, honey.

Jessica said...

OMG i love this!!

Olivia said...

Love this idea! Thanks for sharing! Must pin for future reference :)

xo Olivia
go for the glam

natasha {schue love} said...

So adorable!! Love this...especially with it all lit up! Gorgeous!

Unknown said...

What a great idea! A twist on a classic Christmas decoration- love it!

Unknown said...

This is such a great idea! I may have to try this weekend!